Xamarin is a popular cross-platform app development tool that allows developers to create native applications for iOS, Android, and Windows platforms using a single codebase. In this article, we will focus on Xamarin Android App, which is specifically designed to build apps for the Android platform.
What is Xamarin Android App?
Xamarin Android App is a development tool that enables developers to create native Android applications using the C# programming language and .NET framework. It offers a complete set of tools and libraries that provide an efficient and effective way to develop high-quality apps for the Android platform.
Why use Xamarin Android App?
There are several reasons why developers prefer using Xamarin Android App to develop native apps for the Android platform. Here are some of them:
- Code sharing: With Xamarin, developers can share up to 90% of their codebase across different platforms, which significantly reduces development time and cost.
- Native performance: Xamarin allows developers to build native apps that deliver superior performance compared to hybrid or web-based apps.
- Access to native APIs: Developers can access all the native APIs available in the Android platform through Xamarin.Android.
- Xamarin.Forms: Developers can also use Xamarin.Forms, a UI toolkit that enables them to create shared user interface code across different platforms without compromising on quality or performance.
Xamarin.Android vs. Native Android Development
Developers often face a dilemma when choosing between developing an app natively or using cross-platform tools like Xamarin. While there are advantages of using cross-platform tools like code sharing and faster development time, there are also some limitations.
When it comes to developing specifically for the Android platform, here are some differences between Xamarin.Android and native Android development:
- Language: Xamarin.Android uses C# while native Android development uses Java or Kotlin.
- Development Environment: Xamarin.Android uses Visual Studio or Xamarin Studio while native Android development requires Android Studio.
- API Access: While Xamarin.Android provides access to all the native APIs available in the Android platform, there may be some limitations or delays when new features are introduced.
- Performance: Native Android apps tend to perform better compared to apps developed using cross-platform tools like Xamarin.
Xamarin Android App is a powerful tool that enables developers to create high-quality native apps for the Android platform using a single codebase. While there are some limitations compared to native Android development, the benefits of faster development time, code sharing, and access to native APIs make it a popular choice among developers.