If you’re an Android user, chances are you’ve come across the term ‘DLNA’ when searching for media streaming solutions. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what the DLNA app for Android is and how it can benefit you.
What is DLNA?
DLNA stands for Digital Living Network Alliance – a non-profit organization that was established in 2003 to create guidelines and standards for media sharing among different devices. Essentially, DLNA enables devices such as smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, and gaming consoles to share multimedia content with each other over a home network.
How Does DLNA Work?
DLNA works by establishing a connection between devices on the same network using a protocol called Universal Plug and Play (UPnP). Once connected, devices can communicate with each other to share photos, videos, music and other types of media.
Advantages of Using DLNA
There are several advantages of using DLNA to stream media content:
- Compatibility: Since DLNA is an industry standard, it’s supported by most major manufacturers across different platforms. This means that if your device is DLNA certified, it can communicate with other certified devices regardless of the brand.
- Simplicity: Setting up a DLNA connection between devices is usually straightforward and doesn’t require any additional software or hardware.
- Versatility: With DLNA, you can stream a wide range of media formats including photos, music files and videos without needing to convert them first.
The Best DLNA Apps for Android
If you’re looking to use your Android device as a streaming source or receiver using DLNA technology, there are several apps available in the Google Play Store that can help:
- MediaHouse: A popular DLNA app for Android that lets you stream content from your phone to your TV or other devices. It also supports cloud storage services like Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Plex: A versatile media player that can stream content from your phone to other devices using DLNA. Plex also comes with additional features like a media server, remote access and parental controls.
- Kodi: Another popular media player app that supports DLNA streaming. Kodi is open-source software that can be customized with add-ons for different types of media content.
In summary, DLNA is an industry standard for streaming multimedia content between devices on the same network. It offers several advantages including compatibility, simplicity and versatility. If you’re an Android user looking to use DLNA technology, there are several apps available in the Google Play Store to help you get started.