If you’re a Chromebook user, you may have found that some Android apps aren’t available on the Google Play Store. In some cases, you may need to install an APK file to access these apps.
However, if you’re not a developer and don’t want to use Linux, installing an APK file on your Chromebook can seem like a daunting task. But fear not! In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to install an APK on your Chromebook without needing developer mode or Linux.
Step 1: Enable “Unknown Sources”
Before we get started with the installation process, we need to enable “Unknown Sources” in our Chromebook’s settings. This will allow us to install apps from sources other than the Google Play Store.
- Click on the time in the bottom right corner of your screen
- Select the gear icon to open Settings
- Scroll down and click on “Apps”
- Toggle on “Allow apps from unknown sources”
Step 2: Download and Install ARC Welder
ARC Welder is a tool that allows you to run Android apps in a Chrome browser window. This is what we’ll be using to install our APK file.
- Open the Chrome Web Store
- In the search bar, type “ARC Welder” and hit enter
- Select “Add to Chrome” and then click “Add app”
Step 3: Download Your APK File
Now it’s time to download the APK file for the app you want to install. You can find APK files by searching online or by downloading them from a trusted source. Make sure you’re downloading the file from a reputable site and that it’s compatible with your Chromebook.
Step 4: Add Your APK File to ARC Welder
- Open ARC Welder from your Chromebook Apps menu
- Select “Add your APK” and choose the APK file you just downloaded
Step 5: Configure Your App Settings
After adding your APK file, you’ll need to configure some settings before you can run the app.
- Select your orientation preference (landscape or portrait)
- Choose whether you want to run the app in full-screen mode or windowed mode
- Select any additional settings required by the app (such as resolution or DPI)
Step 6: Run Your App!
Now that you’ve added your APK file and configured your settings, it’s time to run your app!
- Select “Test” to launch your app in ARC Welder
- You may need to wait a few moments for the app to load
- If everything worked correctly, you should now be able to use your app!
Installing an APK on your Chromebook may seem intimidating at first, but with this tutorial, you should now have all the information you need to get started. Remember to always download files from reputable sources and be cautious when installing apps from outside of the Google Play Store. With a little bit of patience and know-how, you’ll be able to access all the Android apps you need on your Chromebook!