If you own an Amazon Fire TV, you may want to install apps that are not available on the Amazon Appstore. One way to do this is by installing APK files. In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to install APK on Amazon Fire TV.
What is an APK file?
An APK (Android Package Kit) file is the package file format used by the Android operating system for distribution and installation of mobile apps. You can think of it as a compressed archive that contains all the files needed for an Android app to run properly.
Step 1: Enable Apps from Unknown Sources
Before you can install an APK file on your Amazon Fire TV, you need to enable apps from unknown sources. This is a security feature that prevents the installation of apps from third-party sources.
To enable apps from unknown sources, follow these steps:
1. Go to Settings > My Fire TV > Developer Options.
2. Turn on Apps from Unknown Sources.
Enabling this option can expose your device to security risks, so it’s recommended that you only install apps from trusted sources.
Step 2: Install Downloader App
To download and install APK files on your Amazon Fire TV, you need a downloader app. The Downloader app is a free app available on the Amazon Appstore that lets you download files from the internet onto your Fire TV.
To install the Downloader app, follow these steps:
1. Go to Home > Search. 2. Type “Downloader” in the search bar.
3. Select “Downloader” from the search results. 4. Click “Download” or “Get” to start the installation process.
If you have a voice-enabled remote control, you can use Alexa to search for and install the Downloader app by saying “Alexa, find Downloader.”
Step 3: Download and Install APK File
Once you have the Downloader app installed, you can use it to download and install APK files on your Amazon Fire TV. Follow these steps:
1. Open the Downloader app. Enter the URL of the APK file you want to download. Click “Go” to start the download process. Once the download is complete, click “Install” to install the APK file.
Make sure that you only download and install APK files from trusted sources. Installing APK files from unknown sources can expose your device to security risks.
Step 4: Delete APK File
After installing an app using an APK file, it’s a good idea to delete the file to free up space on your device and reduce the risk of security issues. To delete an APK file, follow these steps:
1. Go to Home > Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications. Select the app you installed using an APK file. 3. Click “Uninstall.” 4. When prompted, click “OK” to confirm uninstallation.
5. Go back to Home > Settings > Applications > Manage Installed Applications. 6. Select “Downloader.” 7. Click “Clear data.” 8. Click “Clear cache.”
Clearing data and cache for the Downloader app will delete any downloaded files and reset all settings.
Installing APK files on Amazon Fire TV may seem daunting at first, but it’s actually a straightforward process once you know what to do. By enabling apps from unknown sources, installing the Downloader app, downloading and installing an APK file using Downloader, and then deleting the file after installation, you can enjoy apps that are not available on Amazon Appstore with ease!