If you’re an Amazon Fire Stick user, you may have come across some apps that are not available on the Amazon App Store. In such cases, you can download and install APKs from third-party sources. In this tutorial, we’ll guide you through the process of installing an APK on your Amazon Fire Stick.
What is an APK?
An APK is a package file format used by the Android operating system for distribution and installation of mobile apps. The Amazon Fire Stick runs on a modified version of Android, which means you can install APKs on it.
Step 1: Enable Installation from Unknown Sources
Before installing any third-party app or apk on your Fire Stick, you need to enable installation from unknown sources. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the home screen of your Amazon Fire Stick and click on Settings.
- Select My Fire TV.
- Click Developer options.
- Turn on Apps from Unknown Sources.
Enabling this option makes your device vulnerable to malicious software. Make sure that you trust the source before downloading any file or app.
Step 2: Download and Install the Downloader App
The easiest way to install an APK is by using the Downloader app. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go back to the home screen and click on Search.
- Type in “Downloader” in the search bar and select it from the results.
- Select Get or Download to install it.
The Downloader app is a free app available in the Amazon App Store that allows you to download files and apps from external sources.
Step 3: Download the APK File
Now that you have the Downloader app installed, it’s time to download the APK file of the app that you want to install. You can use any browser or search engine to find the APK file. Make sure that you download it from a trusted source.
Step 4: Install the APK File
Once you have downloaded the APK file, follow these instructions to install it:
- Open the Downloader app.
- Select Home from the left menu.
- Type in or paste the URL of the APK file in the URL field and click Go.
- Wait for the download to finish.
- Select Install when prompted.
- Wait for the installation to complete.
- Select Done when prompted.
If you want to delete the APK file after installing, select Delete when prompted instead of Done. This will free up space on your Fire Stick.
That’s it! You’ve successfully installed an APK on your Amazon Fire Stick. Remember that enabling installation from unknown sources can be risky, so make sure that you only download and install apps from trusted sources.