If you’re new to the Android operating system, you might be wondering how to install applications on your device. In this tutorial, we’ll go over how to install an APK file from the app store.
What is an APK file?
An APK (Android Package Kit) file is a package file format used by Android operating system for distribution and installation of mobile apps. Think of it as the equivalent of .exe files on Windows.
Step 1: Enable Installation from Unknown Sources
Before you can install any application outside of the Google Play Store, you need to enable installation from unknown sources in your settings. To do this:
- Open your device’s Settings app.
- Select “Security & privacy. “
- Scroll down and select “Install apps from external sources.
- Toggle the switch on for “Allow installation from unknown sources. “
Step 2: Find and Download Your APK File
Once you have enabled installation from unknown sources, you can download your desired APK file from a third-party app store or website. Be sure to choose a reputable source with a good track record.
Step 3: Install the APK File
After downloading your APK file, simply tap on it to begin the installation process. You will be prompted with a warning message asking if you want to continue with the installation.
If you’re confident that the source is safe, click on “Install” and wait for it to finish. Once installed, you will find your application in your device’s app drawer.
- If at any point during the installation process, you are prompted with a message stating that there was an issue parsing the package, then try downloading another version of the same apk or try reinstalling the same apk.
- Be sure to disable installation from unknown sources once you’re done installing your desired application. This is an important security measure to protect your device from malware and other threats.
Installing apps outside of the Google Play Store may seem daunting at first, but it’s a straightforward process once you know how to do it. Follow these simple steps to install your desired APK file quickly and easily, and enjoy exploring new apps on your Android device!