Installing an APK file on Windows 10 can be a bit tricky, especially if you don’t have an emulator. However, it’s not impossible. In this tutorial, we’ll guide you through the process step by step.
What is an APK file?
An APK file is a package file format used by Android operating systems to install mobile apps and middleware. It’s similar to the .exe files used in Windows.
Step 1: Download the APK file
The first step to installing an APK file on Windows 10 is to download the file itself. You can do this by visiting a reputable website that hosts APK files. Some popular sites include APKPure, APKMirror, and Aptoide.
Before downloading any APK file, make sure that it’s from a reputable source. Downloading files from untrusted sources can result in malware or virus infections on your computer.
Step 2: Enable developer mode
Once you’ve downloaded the APK file, you’ll need to enable developer mode on your Windows 10 computer. To do this:
- Go to Settings.
- Click Update & Security.
- Select For developers.
- Select Developer mode.
This will allow installation of apps from sources other than the Microsoft Store.
Step 3: Install Microsoft App Installer
Microsoft App Installer is a tool that allows you to install apps without using the Microsoft Store. To install it:
- Go to Microsoft Store.
- Type “Microsoft App Installer” in the search bar.
- Select Install.
If you already have Microsoft App Installer installed on your computer, skip this step.
Step 4: Install the APK file
Now that you have the APK file and Microsoft App Installer installed, you can install the app:
- Right-click on the APK file.
- Select Open with.
- Select Choose another app.
- Select More apps.
- Select Look for another app on this PC.
- Navigate to the location where you installed Microsoft App Installer.
- Select AppInstaller.exe and click Open.
If you can’t find AppInstaller.exe, search for it in the Windows search bar.
Once you’ve completed these steps, Microsoft App Installer will launch and ask if you want to install the app. Select Install to proceed.
Step 5: Launch the app
Congratulations! You’ve successfully installed an APK file on your Windows 10 computer. To launch the app:
- Go to Start menu or press Windows key on your keyboard.
- Type “Installed apps” in the search bar.
- Select Installed apps from results shown below.
- Note: If you don’t see Installed apps as a result, type “App installer” in the search bar instead, and select App installer from results shown below. Then select Installed apps option under Apps section of App installer window.
Find your newly installed app in this list and click Launch to start using it.
Installing an APK file on Windows 10 without an emulator may seem daunting at first, but it’s actually quite simple if you follow these steps. Just make sure to only download files from reputable sources and enable developer mode before installation. Happy app installing!