Android Auto is an innovative technology that allows you to access various features of your Android device through your car’s infotainment system. One of the most useful features of Android Auto is the ability to use navigation apps, such as Google Maps, for turn-by-turn directions. In this tutorial, we will explore how to get Google Maps on Android Auto and make the most out of this powerful combination.
Setting up Android Auto
Before we dive into using Google Maps on Android Auto, let’s first ensure that you have set up the system correctly. Here are the steps to follow:
- Step 1: Make sure your car supports Android Auto. Not all vehicles are compatible with this technology, so check your car’s manual or contact the manufacturer for confirmation.
- Step 2: Install the Android Auto app on your smartphone. You can download it from the Google Play Store.
- Step 3: Connect your smartphone to your car’s infotainment system using a USB cable or Bluetooth.
- Step 4: Follow the on-screen instructions on both your phone and car’s display to complete the setup process.
Using Google Maps with Android Auto
Once you have set up Android Auto successfully, you can start using Google Maps for navigation. Here’s how:
Navigating with Google Maps
To begin navigating with Google Maps on Android Auto, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Launch the Android Auto app on your phone or tap the dedicated button on your car’s display.
- Step 2: Tap the “Navigation” icon on the Android Auto home screen.
- Step 3: Enter your destination by typing it in or selecting it from your saved locations or recent searches.
- Step 4: Choose your preferred route from the available options.
- Step 5: Follow the turn-by-turn directions provided by Google Maps on your car’s display.
Using Voice Commands
If you prefer a hands-free experience, you can also use voice commands to navigate with Google Maps. Here’s how to do it:
- Step 1: Activate voice commands by saying “OK Google” or tapping the microphone icon on your car’s display.
- Step 2: Say “Navigate to [your destination]” or a similar command that specifies your desired location.
- Step 3: Google Maps will calculate the route and provide you with spoken directions through your car’s speakers.
Tips and Tricks for Using Google Maps on Android Auto
To enhance your experience with Google Maps on Android Auto, here are some additional tips and tricks:
- Muting Voice Guidance: If you prefer not to hear voice guidance, you can mute it by tapping the volume icon on the navigation screen and adjusting the settings accordingly.
- Avoiding Tolls and Highways: You can customize your route preferences by tapping the three-dot menu button during navigation and selecting “Route options.” From there, you can choose to avoid tolls, highways, or both.
- Reporting Incidents: Help fellow drivers by reporting accidents, traffic congestion, or other incidents on the road. Tap the “Report” button on the navigation screen and follow the prompts to submit a report.
With Android Auto and Google Maps, you can have a seamless navigation experience right from your car’s infotainment system. Whether you prefer using touch controls or voice commands, this powerful combination ensures that you never get lost on your journeys.
Remember to set up Android Auto correctly, follow the steps for navigating with Google Maps, and explore the additional tips and tricks to maximize your experience. Safe travels!