Have you ever wanted to run an Android application on your PC? Maybe you have a game that you enjoy playing on your phone, but you want to experience it on a larger screen.
Or perhaps you need to use an Android app for work, but your employer doesn’t allow you to use your personal device. Whatever the reason may be, the question remains – can we install Android APK on PC?
What is an APK?
First things first, let’s clarify what an APK actually is. APK stands for Android Package Kit and it’s the file format used by the Android operating system for the installation of mobile apps. Whenever you download an app from Google Play Store or any other source, you’re essentially downloading an APK file.
Can we install APK on PC?
The short answer is yes, we can install Android APKs on our PCs. However, in order to do so, we need to make use of an Android emulator.
An emulator is a software program that enables one computer system (the host) to behave like another computer system (the guest). In simpler terms, it allows us to run Android apps on our PCs.
There are many different emulators available in the market today such as BlueStacks, NoxPlayer, and Genymotion among others. These emulators are free to use and offer a seamless experience when running Android apps on our PCs.
How to install an emulator and run an APK file?
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to install an emulator and run an APK file:
Download and Install an Emulator
The first thing we need to do is download and install an emulator of our choice. For this tutorial, we’ll be using BlueStacks as it’s one of the most popular emulators out there.
- Navigate to www.bluestacks.com and click on the ‘Download BlueStacks’ button.
- Once downloaded, run the installer file and follow the instructions to install BlueStacks on your PC.
- Once installed, launch BlueStacks by double-clicking on the desktop icon.
Download an APK File
Next, we need to download an APK file that we want to install on our PC. There are many different websites from which we can download APK files such as APKMirror, APKPure, and Aptoide among others.
For this tutorial, we’ll be downloading the Instagram APK file from www.apkmirror.com.com and search for ‘Instagram’ in the search bar.
Install the APK File
Now that we have both BlueStacks installed and our desired APK file downloaded, it’s time to install the app.
- In BlueStacks, navigate to ‘My Apps’ which is located on the home screen.
- Click on ‘Install apk’ which is located at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.
- Select the Instagram APK file that we downloaded earlier and click ‘Open’.
- The installation process will begin automatically. Once completed, Instagram will appear in our list of installed apps within BlueStacks.
In conclusion, yes – we can install Android APKs on our PCs. All we need is an emulator such as BlueStacks and a desired APK file. With these tools in hand, we can experience our favourite Android apps on a larger screen and with the added convenience of using a keyboard and mouse.