Can U Add Apps to Android Auto?
If you’re an Android user, chances are you’ve heard of Android Auto. It’s a smart driving companion that allows you to access various apps and features from your Android device while on the road.
But can you add additional apps to Android Auto? In this article, we’ll explore the possibilities and limitations of expanding the functionality of this popular platform.
What is Android Auto?
Android Auto is an innovative technology that brings the power of your smartphone directly into your car’s dashboard. It allows you to access certain apps and features in a safe and convenient manner while driving. With a simplified interface, large buttons, and voice commands, it minimizes distractions and keeps your focus on the road.
The Apps That Come with Android Auto
By default, Android Auto comes with a set of pre-installed apps specifically optimized for use in the car. These include:
- Google Maps: Provides real-time navigation with turn-by-turn directions.
- Phone: Allows you to make calls, view call logs, and manage contacts.
- Messages: Enables you to send and receive text messages through voice commands.
- Google Play Music: Offers access to your music library and streaming services like Spotify.
Note: The available apps may vary depending on your country or region.
The Limitations of Adding Apps
In its early stages, Android Auto had limited support for third-party apps. However, Google has gradually opened up the platform to developers, allowing them to create compatible apps. Nevertheless, there are still some limitations when it comes to adding apps to Android Auto:
- Apps must meet specific criteria and guidelines set by Google to ensure a safe and seamless experience for the driver.
- Currently, only media and messaging apps are allowed to integrate with Android Auto. This means you won’t find games or productivity apps in the official Android Auto app store.
- The app developers need to update their apps to include Android Auto support. Not all developers have embraced this opportunity yet, so your favorite app may not be available on the platform.
How to Add Compatible Apps
If you want to explore the available compatible apps for Android Auto, follow these steps:
- Make sure your Android device is running the latest version of the Android Auto app.
- Open the Android Auto app on your device.
- Navigate to the menu by tapping on the three horizontal lines in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Select “Apps for Android Auto.”
- You’ll be presented with a list of supported apps. Tap on an app that interests you.
- If the app is not already installed on your device, tap “Install” to download and install it.
Note: Keep in mind that not all compatible apps will appear in this list. Some apps may require additional permissions or settings adjustments before they can work with Android Auto.
In conclusion, while it’s possible to add compatible third-party apps to Android Auto, there are limitations in terms of what types of apps are available. As Google continues to expand its support for developers, we can expect more options in the future. In the meantime, enjoy the convenience and safety of Android Auto with the pre-installed apps.
Remember to always prioritize safety while using Android Auto or any other technology while driving. Keep your eyes on the road and use voice commands whenever possible.