If you are a Huawei smartphone user, you might have come across the term APK. An APK is an Android Package Kit that allows you to download and install apps on your Android device.
However, due to the ongoing trade restrictions between the US government and Huawei, installing APKs on Huawei devices has become a bit complicated. In this article, we will explore whether or not you can install APKs on your Huawei phone.
Why is it difficult to install APKs on Huawei?
Huawei has been facing trade restrictions imposed by the US government since 2019. As a result, they are no longer allowed to use Google Mobile Services (GMS) on their devices.
GMS is a package of Google applications and APIs that come pre-installed on most Android devices. This includes Google Play Store, which is the primary source for downloading and installing apps.
Due to this restriction, Huawei had to create its own app store called AppGallery as an alternative to the Google Play Store. Although AppGallery offers a wide range of apps, it may not have all the apps that you might want to download.
Can I install APKs on my Huawei device?
The answer is yes; you can still install APKs on your Huawei device even without GMS. However, there are some things that you need to keep in mind before doing so.
Step 1: Enable installation from unknown sources
To install an APK file from outside of AppGallery or any other app store, you need to enable installation from unknown sources in your device settings. This feature allows you to download and install apps from sources other than AppGallery or any other app store.
- Step 1: Open Settings on your Huawei device.
- Step 2: Tap on Security & privacy.
- Step 3: Scroll down to find the option Install apps from external sources and turn it on.
Step 2: Download the APK file
Once you have enabled installation from unknown sources, you need to download the APK file that you want to install. You can download an APK file from various websites or through a third-party app store.
Step 3: Install the APK file
After downloading the APK file, go to your phone’s Downloads folder or any other folder where you have saved the downloaded file. Tap on the APK file to start installing it.
You might be prompted with a warning message that says installing from unknown sources may harm your device. If you have downloaded the APK from a trusted source, tap on Install anyway to proceed with the installation.
The drawbacks of installing APKs on Huawei devices
Although installing an APK allows you to access apps that are not available in AppGallery or any other app store, there are some drawbacks that you need to consider before doing so.
- No automatic updates: Unlike apps downloaded from AppGallery or Google Play Store, manually installed APKs do not get automatic updates. You need to check for updates yourself and install them manually.
- Potential security risks: Installing an app outside of AppGallery or Google Play Store can increase your device’s security risks. The app might contain malware or viruses that can harm your device.
- Incompatibility issues: Some apps may not work as expected when installed through an APK. This is because the app might not be optimized for your device, or it may require additional software that is not available on your device.
In conclusion, installing an APK on your Huawei device is possible, but it comes with some risks. Before installing any APKs, make sure that you download them from trusted sources and check for compatibility issues.
It is always recommended to download apps from AppGallery or any other app store to ensure the safety and security of your device.